Last night I made a Pecan Pie for the very first time. Tyler has been asking for one since he saw a picture of one in Gardens & Guns :) So I opened up a cookbook that my Mema made for all the granddaughters and low and behold there was a recipe for Pecan Pie. And it was only 5 ingredients! Even better!
But because the recipe was actually my great great Aunt Marie's, it didn't tell me how many cups of pecans to use. Well, I was in a panic. In this day and age we are conditioned to follow directions to the letter/rule, or in this case cup. So I called Mema and asked her, to which she said "Oh, however I am feeling that day is how many pecans I will use". I thought this was too funny and explained that I was a girl who needed definitive answers, so she said that probably a cup would be good. Phew!
But, it struck me how amazing it was that I could call my Mema and ask her these questions about a recipe in a book that she had made for me. And to further that though, how amazing it is that great, great Aunt Marie is still with us, even in Pecan Pie recipes! It made me think how very blessed I am that Mema thought to carry down those types of things to keep memories alive. I hope to pass on this cook book to our children one day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.