Friday, January 7, 2011

You have been warned--tears may lie ahead!


So, I was watching The Great Outdoors last night (which, by the way is HILARIOUS) and the scene where John Candy tries to teach his son how to water ski totally reminded me of my Dad, especially when John Candy says "Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you might want to take advice from someone who has done this once or twice"

And then it made me think of how many times my Dad, Mom or both have taught me things like water skiing, or snow skiing or how to drive a car. I'll never forget Dad taking me out to the tar mack on base with his government-issued car and letting me drive around! Or snow skiing with them for the first, or swimming in the pool in Oslo and Dad trying to teach me how to float on my back. Or Mom taking me to work with her every day the summer after my 7th grade year and teaching me about decorating, working along side people, and instilling in me a good work ethic.

It is lessons and memories like that, we need to constantly remember and cherish. They are precious. The love and patience it must have taken to teach a strong-willed child (yes, I have put that in writing!) I don't think can even be described.

Those kinds of moments carry over into adulthood too. I'll never forget the weekend Mom & Dad moved me to Savannah. Dad remembered something I had said months earlier on how I wanted to drink champagne the first night in my new apartment. So, he brought a bottle as a surprise, and we opened it even before unpacking (Very un-Ray like if you know Dad!) Then, Mom & Dad patiently drove from my apartment to my new office several times...back and forth, back and forth, until I had a clear path on how to get there when it came time on Monday. Probably the pilot/navigator in him!

And then on Sunday they left.......I'm not sure if they cried, can't remember if I cried, but as I sit here reflecting (and crying) about that day, that weekend, all those precious lessons/moments that brought me here I have to say a B-I-G thank you to my parents for their patients, love and support.

Oh, and for living in Alabama so I could go to Auburn and be part of the #1 team in the nation!


WDE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.